This section is new and information will be added here soon. Please subscribe to our e-News below to stay up to date.
Food, glorious food
Is feeding children always going to be such a headache? You start by questioning whether you did the right thing when you decided between breastfeeding and formula. Then one day carrots are their favourite food and the next day they will induce gagging. And you wonder what you did wrong which resulted in their inability to have a peanut butter sandwich.
There are so many questions and opinions about feeding children the right amount of the right thing at the right time. The big diet issues start even before your child is born with your own diet during pregnancy. And whatever you decide whenever you decide it, someone else will decide you’re wrong.
Basically, until they are independently feeding themselves (which may not be until they leave home when they get married!) you will have to make every dietary decision and may want or need to seek advice along the way.
- Choosing between breastfeeding, formula or a combination of both.
- When to introduce solids and drinks.
- Choosing home made or jar foods.
- Reading labels – should you, can you?
- Increasing variety and eating out.
- Portions, vitamins and minerals.
- Won’t eat it – fussy eaters.
- Can’t eat it – allergies.
- Kids and cooking.
- Independent eating at home.
- What to put in the lunchbox.
- Trusting independent decisions at the canteen and during outings.
Over time, we will be adding articles, lists and other resources here from various services to enable people to be as prepared as possible for their needs. Please subscribe to our e-News below to stay up to date.
Acknowledgement of Country
In the spirit of reconciliation Children's Guide acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, waters and community. We pay our respect to Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.